Gobi Manchurian inspired by our visit the Tiffin Room Restaurant in Manchester
Time to Make – 45 Minutes
- 1 Cauliflower, medium size
- 2 Chillies, Green
- 1 Onion, large
- 2 tablespoons Spring onion
- 1/2 tablespoons Chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons Garlic spread
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Ginger spread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tomato ketchup/ tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Corn flour
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Small green pepper (capsicum), finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons Maida (all purpose flour)
Method for the cauliflower florets
1. Boil cauliflower florets in salted water over medium flame for 3-4 minutes, until slightly soft. After boiling drain water and dry the cauliflower florets with paper kitchen towel.
2. Mix the Maida or all-purpose flower, corn flour, ½ teaspoon garlic paste and salt in a bowl. Add approximately ½ cup of water little by little and stir to make into a batter. Making sure that the batter isn’t too thick or thin. Add all the cauliflower florets into the batter and mix together, ensuring the cauliflower florets are evenly coated.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan or Wok over a medium flame, carefully place approximately 8 cauliflower florets in the hot oil and deep fry until they turn golden brown. Drain and place the cauliflower florets on kitchen paper to remove excess oil, repeat the frying process until all the cauliflower florets have been fried.
4. An healthier option to frying is oven roasting, not quite as good but it works, place all the cauliflower florets on a baking try covered with baking paper and spray with fry light or something similar, place in a medium to hot oven about 200 degrees for about 20 – 25 minutes turning once, until golden brown.
Method the Sauté mix
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan or Wok (you can also replace the oil with a few sprays of fry light for the healthier option). Add 2 teaspoons of ginger paste, 1 ½ teaspoons of garlic paste, finely chopped green chillies, finely chopped green pepper and a finely chopped onion.
2. Cook the ingredients on a high flame for 4 – 5 minutes.
3. Add soy sauce, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and salt.
4. Stir together and cook for approximately a minute.
5. Add the deep fried cauliflower florets (or oven roasted)
6. Mix and toss the cauliflower florets with the other ingredients in the frying pan for a further 1 – 2 minutes with the flame still on high heat.
7. Transfer the Gobi Manchurian to a serving plate and garnish with spring onion and service with chilli and tomato sauce.